Monday, September 21, 2009

Sperry Top-Siders - A Great Fit

Not having heard of Sperry before, I was not expecting much prior to getting the samples. We received both the men’s Barracuda Sport Fisherman and the women’s Spectra for review. Looking at the shoes, I became a bit more eager to test them out. The Barracuda is a great looking shoe. It is very light, which concerned me when thinking about foot protection, but it seemed to be well constructed.


I first wore them camping. We did a lot of hiking along trails and the inevitable security patrols around the campsite. They were exceptionally comfortable and actually felt as if I were wearing sneakers. I did notice that on the cold nights and mornings that for once I was not complaining about my feet being cold.

The next test was fishing. As these top-siders are made for fishing and boats and I already knew the comfort and warmth of the shoe, I only had a few things to review; traction on wet surfaces and how dry my feet would stay. All that I can say with regard to fishing is that my feet stayed perfectly dry and warm and not once did I slip on the deck!!!!

The final test for the Sperry’s was my hiking adventure deep into the Santa Monica Mountains yesterday. As I had become quite fond of the new Barracudas, I had to give them one last test instead of wearing my heavy-duty hiking boots.

Gearing up for our trip, I ran into the first (and my only) dislike (flaw) of the shoes. While I was lacing them up, one of the riveted eyes for the laces popped right out. The laces could still be tightened as there is another strap holding the eye in the right general location. I proceeded to wear them for the hike as I knew this would be another great test.

I have to say that I was not disappointed. We spent 4 hours in some of the most difficult terrain that I’ve been on in a long time. We hiked on mud, gravel and dirt paths, climbed steep rocky hillsides, jumped and climbed boulders along a streambed, scrambled up and down ravines with absolutely on footings and climbed steep, slick riverbed rocks. At no point did I loose traction, hurt my feet or feel anything but comfort and security with the Barracudas.

Mariah reviewed the Spectra and was quite happy with them. She wore them in a number of circumstances including; camping, fishing, kids’ soccer games and on errands.
The Spectra slip on shoes by Sperry are not like your grandfathers old topsiders, these are stylish and comfortable. She barely felt like she was wearing shoes at all! They were very comfortable and kept her feet dry … and when they did get wet they were quick to dry.

With the exception of the construction quality issue I ran into, I have to say that I LOVE these Sperrys. I give them a big BOA thumbs up!!!!!

The Barracuda retails for $90.00 and the Spectra for $80.00
Both are available at: http://www.sperrytopsider.com/

Some Specs:
Barracuda
Waterproof Construction Keeps Feet Dry in Wet Conditions
Ultra-Light Construction Reduces Foot Fatigue
Stain & Water Resistant Leather Provides Durable & Lasting Wear
Padded Tongue and Collar for Added Comfort Around the Foot
Removable and Full Length Molded Footbed with Wave-Comfort System for All Day Under Foot Comfort
Molded EVA Cushion Midsole for All Day, Under-Foot Comfort
New Hydro-Grip™ Rubber Traction Compound Offers the Ultimate Performance Traction Outsole Compound
Non-Marking Lugged Rubber Outsole with Wave-Siping™ for Versatile On/Off Water Traction
Spectra
Low Water Absorption Materials are Quick Drying
Removable, Full Length EVA Footbed for Full Foot Shock Absorption
Outsole Drainage Ports Promote Water Drainage
Elastic Lace with Locking Toggle Adjusts for a Secure Fit
Non-Marking Rubber Outsole™ with Razor Cut Wave-Siping™ for Ultimate Wet / Dry Traction

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Blog Widget by LinkWithin